- Rabeynu Tam (Yiddish) / 3:44 /
- Cuando El Rey Nimrod (Ladino) / 4:26 /
- Szol a kakos mar (Hungarian & Hebrew) / 4:30 /
- Baygale (Yiddish & Russian) / 3:07 /
- Rebecca (Polish & Yiddish) / 3:18 /
- Oy Wey Rebenyu / duet with my father / (Yiddish) / 2:45 /
- Dona, Dona / Dos kelbl (English & Yiddish) / 5:50 /
- Nani, Nani (Ladino ) / 2:13 /
- Heimve (Trondheim, Trondheim) (Norwegian -Trondheim dialect) / 4:43 /
- Oy Wey Rebenyu (Yiddish) / 5:44 /
- Ein Licht geht nach dem andern aus (German) / 3:38 /
- Tate Solo (My father’s solo) (Hebrew - Loshn Kodesh=sacred language) / 2:42 /
- Ani Ma'amin (Hebrew) / 6:45 /
- Glick (Yiddish) / 4:35 /
- Yas (Yiddish) / 5:10 /
- Bei mir bistu shein (Yiddish & English) / 4:43 /
total time : 67:52
Bente Kahan - vocal, guitar (1,2,4,5,7,9,15)
Herman Kahan - vocal ( 6,12)
Dariusz Świnoga - accordion, piano, synth.
Mirosław Kuźniak - violin, viola, mandolin
Mirosław "Carlos" Kaczmarczyk - principal guitar & electric guitar
Javid Asfari Rad - santour, tomabk, daf
recorded in “Cosmopolite”, Oslo’s world music stage, July 27, 29 & 30, 2000
label : tylkomuzyka.pl 2003
catal. no : TCD 002
My family has lived in Europe for centuries. They established a HOME where they dwelled until they were either evicted, or persecution forced them to find another. They created a HOME for themselves, although always for a limited time.
I am Norwegian, but also a Diaspora Jew, which means that I feel at HOME in so many places. My Jewish heritage links me to many countries, many languages and many cultures. I hardly feel a stranger in any European city. There is always a trace of my people, a synagogue or a graveyard, a reminder that they once felt at HOME there.
And then there is the music: it belongs to all of us - Jews and non-Jews - erasing borders. Many of us grew up with the same tunes, except that the lyrics changed from language to language. Each of us was convinced that it was exclusively ours. No, it came from all of us. We have inspired, and still inspire each other all the time. Thanks to that fact I was able to make this recording.
HOME is originally a concert in which I relate my own family’s journey through Europe, tracing it back to13th Century Spain. The story in HOME is linked to songs where the Jewish and non-Jewish traditions meet. The lyrics are in nine languages.
more informations : Bente Kahan